Sunday, February 27, 2011

Pregnancy Update: 24 Weeks

It's been awhile since I posted a pregnancy update, so here we go. I'm at the end of the 2nd trimester now, past the age of viability. My sister took this picture of me last week. I feel huge, but I know this is nothing compared to what's coming.








































Weeks Pregnant: 24 weeks, 4 days. He's about the size of a large papaya or a football, depending on the website you ask. I had another ultrasound on the 15th, and you can definitely tell he's gotten bigger. The ultrasound technician said he weighed 1 pound, 4 ounces, though I'm sure he's bigger by now. He's been really hungry lately.





 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
If you can't tell, his heat is to the right side of the picture, in profile, looking up. He's big enough now that you can't see his whole body, just the head and torso. I go every four weeks for growth ultrasounds, just to make sure he's growing right. Nick had borderline growth restriction due to my RNY surgery, and they want to make sure that doesn't happen with this little boy. So far, so good. . . he's measuring 5 days ahead.
 
Weight: (From starting weight) +2 pounds, which actually means I gained back the six pounds I lost, plus I gained two more. That may or may not have something to do with all the girl scout cookies my husband ordered. My weight really varies quite a bit from day to day, so I try not to worry about it too much. I think the variance is because I drink so much water, 100 ounces or more a day.

Movement: Yup, though not nearly as much as I had with Nick. The doctor said that my placenta is in the front, and that's probably why I feel less movement. I do feel him squiggling around in there more each week. His head is up by my ribs, and his feet are pointing down and kicking my bladder. I think that's why my belly looks smaller now than it did just a few weeks ago--he was sideways and now he's vertical.

Exercise: I had my final physical therapy appointment (hopefully) last Wednesday, so I'm responsible for my own exercise now. I started out today with 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer, then topped it off with some heavy duty grocery shopping. We'll see how I do tomorrow. I hope I made up for the girl scout cookies I ate.

Cravings: Coffee. When we were up in Wisconsin over the weekend, we seriously considered driving the 30 mile round trip each morning to the nearest Starbucks. We decided against it, but I almost wept for joy when we finally stopped at a Starbucks on our way back home. That latte tasted so good! I was craving the girl scout cookies my husband bought (tagalongs) until they were all gone. Oh, and I've been drinking glasses of milk everyday. I usually have it in my cereal, oatmeal, and coffee, but the last month or so I crave straight glasses of milk.

Sleep: It is becoming more and more difficult to sleep. Being away from home didn't help, and my four pillow system of sleeping isn't working too well. I've been waking up with carpal tunnel pain from sleeping sideways on one or the other of my arms. Also, I keep rolling over on my belly in my sleep, and then it wakes me up because that is not comfortable.

Symptoms: The last few weeks I've had lots of lower back pain and headaches. The good news? My feet and legs are feeling much better. I'm not sure how I'd be if I had that to deal with, as well. Plus, I've had a runny nose and sore throat for the last week or so, and I'm not sure if I have a cold or if it's allergies. If it doesn't go away soon, I'm going to talk to my doctor, because it may be turning into a sinus infection. When I can't breathe through my nose at night, I wake up with a horrible sore throat and headache.


Mood: I think I've been doing okay. . . the second trimester is better in terms of horomones. I can't read anything bad in the newspaper about kids, though, or I get weepy.

Medical: I'm taking crazy amounts of vitamins: 1 liquigel prenatal vitamin, 2 Flintstones Complete Chewables, 3 chewable calcium supplements, 1sublingual B12, and 1 baby asprin. We'll see if all this prevents anemia and growth restriction. Not sure if this is medical, but my belly is itching like crazy as it grows.

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good, and we're getting more excited about the baby coming. I've started looking on Ebay for deals on cute summer baby clothes. Nick was born in the winter, so all of the clothes I have from him are long-sleeved or have polar bears or reindeers on them. I have some sleepers I can reuse, but tons of fleece stuff that'll probably be too warm for this little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment